Careers Workshop - Your Career, Your Life, Your Direction! – Various dates March – May 2021
Please note this workshop will take place online via Zoom. The Zoom link will be included in the registration email you receive from eventbrite after signing up for the event. You will also receive the Zoom link in reminder emails before the event!
Please read the following information carefully as it will answer many common questions we routinely get asked.
A free workshop for Foundation Doctors across the West Midlands to consider your career options post-foundation and beyond!
This is a participative workshop. You will need to connect with a webcam/mic so you can participate in small group tasks and discussions.
Please see dates and links for 2021 below:
Waiting Lists – once a workshop hits the maximum capacity of 20 Eventbrite will operate a waiting list. If you sign up to the waiting list you will then be notified if a space becomes available. However, as this is not guaranteed we always recommend you do not rely on it and also book on to another date where you can be assured of a place. If a space comes up via the waiting list, you can take that spot and then cancel your other booking, which brings us to…
Cancellations – could you please cancel any bookings you no longer need so spaces can be made available to other people. You can cancel via the “View and manage your order online” link in your Eventbrite booking confirmation email and then clicking the “Cancel Order” button. Alternatively, please feel free to contact us direct via email@example.com telling us your name, email address and which date(s) you want to cancel and we’ll do it for you.
Where, when and how?
This is an online workshop delivered via Zoom, you will receive the Zoom link in the registration email you receive from eventbrite after signing up for the event, with the same link being sent out approximately a week before and a day before the workshop (or on a Friday if the workshop is on a Monday).
The workshops start at 9:30AM prompt. The Zoom meeting room is open before then if you wish to join earlier to test your mic, camera, etc.
The workshop finishes no later than 4PM. The last section of the workshop is for self-directed learning during which time you do not need to remain in the zoom meeting.
Book now to be sure of a place – follow the links above, then click the "register" button and complete the quick and easy booking form.
How do I get time off to attend?
The foundation school have confirmed that Foundation Doctors can use an allocated day from their F2 Study Leave entitlement to attend this workshop. Please confirm the process with your Educational Supervisor and Postgraduate Centre colleagues.
What if I need to cancel or re-arrange my booked date?
Simply cancel your booked date using ‘Cancel Order’ in Eventbrite or by e-mailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can then register or another date. Please do so in a timely manner so that the place can be offered to another trainee as many courses will be fully subscribed.
Will I receive a certificate of attendance?
Yes, everyone attending will receive a PDF certificate of attendance.
How can I contact the organiser with any questions? If you have any queries about the workshop please email us at: email@example.com
Is there a programme?
The programme covers 4 main important areas:
• How are you managing your career? Understanding career planning & what is involved
• Exploring values in relation to career decisions, work and life; importance of the NHS values to applications and interviews
• Identifying your skills, strengths and development needs
• Linking skills to person specifications
• Building examples and backing up with evidence
• Medical labour market - facts and figures
• Competition ratios and overview of the specialty training application process
• Career destinations of Foundation trainees
• F3 and other alternative options to specialty training
• CVs - What makes an effective CV? What to include and how to present it
• Portfolios - Understanding Specialty Application Portfolios
• Portfolios - What to include, what to avoid, what specialties are looking for
• Action Planning - Identifying short, medium and long-term career goals and creating individual action plans
The final hour or so of the workshop will be self-directed learning, we provide a number of activities you may wish to start (or continue) during this time, such as the Career Skills Health Check, Values worksheets and reflecting on examples that may be useful for applications/interviews/portfolio, completing the skills analysis and considering examples/evidence, download specialty or F3 person specifications and identify your examples/evidence for their requirements, start/update your CV, identify evidence and documentation for portfolio, read specialty-specific portfolio guidance to identify required content/evidence, etc.
The sessions in March and April have been well received, with comments such as:
- “I usually struggle to pay attention to online teaching but I really enjoyed the session and I found it very helpful. I think this should be a required teaching session for all foundation doctors.”
- “Very useful session with great facilitation and very practical tips!”
- “Overall a great workshop! Learnt alot and felt I did this at the right time to start building my CV and portfolio in good time before I apply to jobs after F2”
- “Thank you very much, this was really helpful in providing me with confidence for future job applications and for career planning.”
- “Very good and interactive sessions with thought provoking topics that will be useful for preparing for interviews and portfolio building.”
- “Thank you very much for delivering this session. Engaging content and facilitator. Lots of useful resources that I can go through in my own time to build on this workshop further. Great way to kickstart those who are "burying their head in the sand" in terms of career management.”
- “Thank you so much it was great!!”
- “Very useful workshop and I will 100% be recommending it to my colleagues. Thank you so much.”
- “A huge thank you for this workshop, I found it incredibly useful and engaging and have learnt a great deal of information. I feel more motivated and informed about career planning and how to develop my portfolio now. Thank you again.”