The Training Programme
The West Midlands offers a comprehensive CST programme with over 150 active trainees in the region. It is one of the largest programmes in the UK. The themed rotations offer diverse experience with approximately a third of rotations geared towards Trauma & Orthopaedics, and the remainder spread across Cardio-thoracics, ENT, General Surgery/Vascular, Paediatric Surgery, OMFS, Plastic Surgery and Urology.
The size of the West Midlands has allowed us to focus the training into three discrete sub-regions*.
North (Shropshire and Staffordshire)
- Shrewsbury & Telford Hospital NHS Trust (Princess Royal Hospital & Royal Shrewsbury Hospital
- University Hospitals of North Midlands (Royal Stoke University Hospital & Stafford County Hospital)
- The Manor Hospital, Walsall
- New Cross Hospital, Wolverhampton
Central (Birmingham and the Black Country)
- University Hospital Birmingham (University Hospital Birmingham, Solihull Hospital, Good Hope Hospital & Heartlands Hospital)
- Sandwell & West Birmingham Hospitals NHS Trust (City Hospital, Birmingham & Sandwell Hospital, West Bromwich
- Russell’s Hall Hospital, Dudley
South (Warwickshire and Worcestershire)
- University Hospital of Coventry & Warwickshire
- George Eliot Hospital, Nuneaton
- Warwick Hospital
- Worcester Acute Hospitals (Worcester Royal Hospital & Alexandra Hospital)
- Birmingham Children’s Hospital
Trainees usually remain in the same geographical area for the duration of their training to minimise the need to move, however in order to ensure breadth of experience this may not always be possible.
The teaching programme is diverse and features mandatory teaching days as well as regular anatomy days, MRCS revision days and an evolving Added Value programme.
Miss Clare Pattenden (Consultant Renal Transplant Surgeon @ University Hospital Birmingham) is the Regional Lead Training Programme Director and the following are the area/Core teaching Training Programme Directors:
- North - Mr David Luke (Consultant General Surgeon @ UHNM)
- South – Mr Kai Leong (Consultant General Surgeon @ UHCW)
- Central - Ms Yuko Smith (Consultant Urologist @ UHB)
- Regional Teaching Coordinators - Mr Mike Wall (Consultant Vascular Surgeon @ Russell’s Hall Hospital), Mr Shahbaz Malik (Consultant Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgeon @ Worcester Hospital)
*These divisions are subject to review and based upon the number of training posts within each sub-region
Page Last Updated 11th November 2022