Study Leave Guidelines

Study leave includes 15 days for attending the half-day release course (vocational training scheme, VTS). Attendance at the half-day release course is compulsory even when working in secondary care. To allow for leave 70% pro-rata attendance is expected.


Travel to the AKT and CSA is allowable as a legitimate employers travel expense for professional (not study) leave processed by the Lead Employer including overnight accommodation for morning only CSA assessment.  Exam fees cannot be reclaimed. 

Exam preparation courses, including CSA and AKT, are claimable from study leave allowance if the course is provided by Health Education West Midlands or RCGP but not other providers.  Private study leave may not be granted for exam preparation as 12 hours educational time is built in to the GP registrar normal working week within the BMA contract.


Trainees (including academic trainees) should use local processes with the training practice or hospital trust to apply for the study leave, but study leave funding is paid by the lead employer.  Applications for reimbursement of study leave expenses should be claimed via the GP School, using the a claim form here: GP Study leave expenses claim.pdf

Study leave is only available to meet the competencies of the MRCGP curriculum and must have an appropriate PDP objective in the trainee ePortfolio prior to the study activity, and learning log entry afterwards.

Study leave funding is £500 per trainee per academic year and £1000 for GP Academic Clinical Fellows.  ACF's are reminded that funding towards a masters/diploma is included in their training costs to the  university and enquiries should be made to their academic supervisors on access to such support  

Study leave forms must be received by Health Education West Midlands within one month of the expense.

Travel to a course

Travel to an approved study leave event can be claimed on the study leave form above.  Trainees are reminded not to duplicate travel claims by claiming both from their employer and study leave as this could lead to an investigation by NHS Fraud department.  


 An appeal can be made to the Head of School if a trainee is refused study leave funding.  If the situation remains unresolved trainees have the right to appeal direct to Health Education West Midlands Study Leave committee following the documented procedure.