The Training Programme
The West Midlands offers a comprehensive CST programme with over 150 active trainees in the region. It is one of the largest programmes in the UK. The themed rotations offer diverse experience with approximately a third of rotations geared towards Trauma & Orthopaedics, and the remainder spread across Cardio-thoracics, ENT, General Surgery/Vascular, Paediatric Surgery, OMFS, Plastic Surgery and Urology.
The size of the West Midlands has allowed us to focus the training into three discrete sub-regions*.
North (Shropshire and Staffordshire)
- Shrewsbury & Telford Hospital NHS Trust (Princess Royal Hospital & Royal Shrewsbury Hospital
- University Hospitals of North Midlands (Royal Stoke University Hospital & Stafford County Hospital)
Central (Birmingham and the Black Country)
- University Hospital Birmingham (University Hospital Birmingham & Heartlands Hospital)
- Birmingham Children’s Hospital
- Sandwell & West Birmingham Hospitals NHS Trust (City Hospital, Birmingham & Sandwell Hospital, West Bromwich
- The Manor Hospital, Walsall
- Russell’s Hall Hospital, Dudley
- New Cross Hospital, Wolverhampton
South (Warwickshire and Worcestershire)
- University Hospital of Coventry & Warwickshire
- George Eliot Hospital, Nuneaton
- Warwick Hospital
- Worcester Acute Hospitals (Worcester Royal Hospital & Alexandra Hospital)
Trainees usually remain in the same geographical area for the duration of their training to minimise the need to move, however in order to ensure breadth of experience this may not always be possible.
The teaching programme is diverse and features mandatory teaching days as well as regular anatomy days, MRCS revision days and an evolving Added Value programme.
Mr Senthurun Mylvaganam (Consultant Oncoplastic Breast Surgeon @ New Cross Hospital) is the Regional Lead Training Programme Director and the following are the area/Core teaching Training Programme Directors:
- Stoke & Staffordshire - Mr Sanjiv Bhimrao (Consultant ENT Surgeon @ UHNM)
- Coventry & Warwickshire - Ms Deborah Markham (Consultant General & Endocrine Surgeon @ Warwick)
- Birmingham and Black Country - Ms Clare Pattenden (Consultant REnal Transplant Surgeon @ UHB)
- Regional Teaching Coordinator - Mr Usman Ahmed (Consultant Trauma & Orthopaedic Surgeon @ Telford)
*These divisions are subject to review and based upon the number of training posts within each sub-region